Port School sits at the periphery of Fremantle and provides education and support to socially disadvantaged and at-risk students. Port School is radically different to mainstream school and offers the following programs to students in its care:
- As a Registered Training Organisation, the school is accredited to deliver vocational educational and training services.
- The Outreach Program has been designed to support students academically, socially and emotionally and to deepen their connection to school life.
- A Young Parent Centre provides teenage mums with the support they need to continue their education.
- An Early Learning Centre is located next door to the Young Parent Centre and provides care for children aged 6 weeks to 3 years.
- A Mobile Classroom operates out of a bus and enables the most disengaged students to complete their education off-site
Demand for the school is growing, and in response, the school acquired a neighbouring property to enable it to expand.
Young people deserve to have the world at their feet, the opportunity to realise their dreams, sound mental and physical health and at least one adult who believes in them, pushes them and offers unconditional support and advice. Anne M Gee, Port School Chair
What was the impact?
Construction commenced in June 2022 and was completed in early 2023. The new Middle School provides an additional 25 places for students waitlisted and struggling in their current schools.
While the design is modest in size, it’s also functional and joyful. The school’s experienced teaching staff encouraged us to design a building that would act as a respite from mainstream school environments.